17 August 2011

Chocolate Pecan Cookies

Some people unwind after a stressful day with a glass of wine. Others curl up with a good book. I bake cookies. So, after a particularly terrible Monday at the office, I went straight to the pantry. Many of my friends have asked me for the 'secret' cookie recipe I am about to share with you. Usually, I laugh and say no way, but if I'm feeling nice, I smile and tell whoever it is to go look on the back of a Nestle Tollhouse bag. There's a reason that recipe has continued to be printed, year after year, on those bags, but I have to say, my few, easy alterations make all the difference in the world.

First and foremost, use salted butter. The salty flavor complements the sweetness of the chocolate. (why do you think chocolate-covered pretzels are so addictive??)

Second, make sure you use dark chocolate chips to give the cookies a richer and deeper flavor.

Finally, chill the batter for at least an hour before baking the cookies, and make sure the cookies are equal in size (I use a mellon baller). Chilling the dough allows the outside of the cookie to become golden and crispy, but the inside to remain soft and gooey.



Ingredients:
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup softened salted butter
¾ cups granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans (I always add a little extra)

Directions:
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate mixing bowl, mix softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
Add eggs, one at a time.
Stir in dark chocolate chips and pecans.
Chill dough at least 1 hour (overnight works, too)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Spoon dough onto cookie sheet, and bake for approximately 8 minutes.


48 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment