17 August 2011

Grilled Peach, Proscuitto, and Chicken Salad with Lemon-Balsamic Vinaigrette

Butter lettuce tossed with warm, rotisserie chicken is a dinnertime staple for me in the summer, but I wanted to take it up a notch last night. When I stopped by the grocery, I wandered around the produce section looking for inspiration. I spotted some beautiful peaches, and as I passed the deli counter, I overheard someone order prosciutto. I rushed home with the peaches and prosciutto - something about the sweetness of the peaches and the saltiness of the prosciutto sounded incredibly appealing. It was beautiful out so I decided to grill the peaches (if you haven't tried it, go for it - grilled peaches always remind me of the warm and sugary peaches in a peach cobbler, but without the added butter and sugar). And I was right: the couple of slices of prosciutto lent a fabulous salty flavor that complemented the peaches. I tossed in some almonds, too, for added crunch, some shredded cheese, and a bit of rotisserie chicken to make the salad a heartier, more complete meal. I drizzled with Bobby Flay's lemon-balsamic vinaigrette (added a great tanginess), but simple balsamic vinegar would work, too. Toss together and voila, the perfect summertime salad.




Ingredients:

salad
2 cups butter lettuce
2/3 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
1/4 cup toasted almonds
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I like parmesan)
4 thin slices of prosciutto


bobby flay's lemon-balsamic vinaigrette
1 shallot, minced
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup olive oil

Directions:
Combine ingredients for salad
Combine ingredients for dressing, and drizzle on top (don't need a lot)
To grill the peaches:
Cut peaches in large chunks (so they won't fall through grill grate)
Brush lightly with olive oil
Leave peaches on grill over medium heat until soft and tender, but not falling apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment