04 August 2011

Scrambled Eggs with Sweet Potatoes & Parmesan

Eggs are easy, inexpensive and filling but, let's be honest, can get a little boring. Whenever I don't have the time or energy to shop/think/plan a more interesting dinner, eggs are my go-to: I beat two eggs with two egg whites, and toss in whatever vegetables I happen to have in the kitchen. A few weeks ago, I opened my fridge to discover absolutely nothing useable besides a small sweet potato. Something about the combination of eggs and sweet potato didn't sound right - too starchy? too close in color? - but I chopped it up and tossed it in with some onion, fresh parmesan, salt and pepper. It was fabulous. The sweet potato is dense and, yes, sweet, as compared to the lighter, airier eggs, and, along with the parmesan, adds a decadence to the dish that I wasn't expecting. I think the addition of caramelized onions is the perfect finish, but you can add whatever else you'd like. This is quick, healthy and super inexpensive but, best of all, absolutely delicious.
Ingredients:
Four eggs
Four egg whites
1 large sweet potato, diced
1/4 cup of onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
salt and pepper

Directions:
Whisk together the eggs and egg whites, and set aside
Toss the diced sweet potatoes with salt and pepper and microwave until tender
(I think you get more flavor from the potatoes if they're steamed first, before browning)
Add olive oil into a small pan and warm over medium heat
Add onions and saute until translucent
Add sweet potatoes and saute until slightly browned
Add eggs and scramble, until cooked
Just before removing from heat, toss in cheese
Sprinkle with salt and pepper (and a little extra shaved parmesan),
and serve immediately

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment