08 September 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

It's probably best to think of these muffins as cupcakes. They are, without doubt, my favorite muffins in the world - fluffy, buttery, at once sweet and tart, and topped with a creamy, lemony glaze. The original recipe comes from the Silver Palate Cookbook. I've cut down on the butter and swapped in fat-free milk for whole milk, but these remain a once-in-a-while treat. My mom used to make these for me and my brother when we were little. These days she only makes them occasionally, but if I come home and see them in the pantry, I know to eat lightly that day - try as I might, I can never resist them!

Great for company, for brunch, lunch, or dessert, or just for a special treat.


Ingredients:
muffins:
9 tbsp butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup fat-free milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup poppy seeds
4 tsp grated lemon rind

glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease 12 muffin cups
Cream together butter and sugar
Stir in eggs, milk and lemon juice
In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder
Alternately dry ingredients to wet
Stir in poppy seeds and lemon rind
Spoon into muffin cups
Bake 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned

While baking, combine lemon juice, powdered sugar and vanilla
When muffins have cooled about 10  minutes (still warm, not hot),
dip the tops into the glaze
Let dry on wax paper (glaze will drip!)

12 muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment