04 November 2011

Crustless Pumpkin Quiche

Disclaimer: I think most Hungry Girl recipes are pretty awful. Even, occasionally, offensive. Hot dog skewers with pineapple and tomato? Baked diet coke apples? But I was watching the show (if you don't know: http://www.hungry-girl.com/) the other day while I was on the exercise bike, and saw her make this pumpkin quiche. Given that it's November and the leaves are changing and everything smells like fall, pumpkin (bread, muffins, pancakes, pie, lattes) is all I want, all the time. So - for 500 calories for the entire quiche (the picture below is the recipe cut in half - or 250 calories) - I thought I'd give it a try. It's delicious. Next time I think I'd eliminate the spinach (didn't quite fit) and add some cinnamon (why not make it a tad more like pumpkin pie?), but the basic idea - pumpkin, eggs, cheese - is pretty great. Enjoy it!


Ingredients:
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 cup diced mushrooms
2 cups chopped spinach
4 wedges Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss
1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cups egg beaters
2 tsp minced garlic
sprinkle of salt, pepper and chili powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray 9 inch pie pan and set aside
Over medium-high heat, saute onions until softened and slightly browned
Remove from pan
Saute mushrooms in the same pan until tender
Add spinach, cook until wilted
Combine onions, mushrooms and spinach
Add cheese (crumble into pieces first) and stir until entirely melted
Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine
Pour into pie pan and bake for 50 - 60 minutes, or until firm and golden brown on top

8 side-dish servings (67 calories/serving)
* I halved this recipe and ate it for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment