12 December 2011

Pumpkin Butter Cookies

I've always loved pumpkin and, lately, have been on something of a pumpkin kick - I've made pumpkin custards, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin quiche, even pumpkin pasta...but I tend to stay away from pumpkin cookies. Whenever I've tried to make them (and I've tried a number of times), they wind up cake-y and tasteless, bright orange but lacking any kind of real pumpkin flavor. When I found a recipe for pumpkin cookies made with pumpkin butter instead of pumpkin puree, I decided to go for it, figuring that it was probably the puree (which - if you've ever strained it you know - is 30 to 40% water) that was causing the problems. Unlike cookies made with puree, these are crisp and chewy, and have a deep, buttery, pumpkin-y flavor that I love. I'd recommend the pumpkin butter at trader joes - it's inexpensive and tastes fantastic on toast, too!




Ingredients:
8 tbsp softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg + 1 yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup pumpkin butter
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon + nutmeg + cloves)
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
Beat butter and sugar until smooth
Add in egg, yolk, and vanilla
Gradually mix in dry ingredients and chocolate chips
Refrigerate for 20 minutes, then bake for 10-13 minutes,
or until light golden brown
Remove from cookie sheets as soon as possible and let cool on cooling rack

15 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment