02 February 2012

Shrimp and Scallops with Roasted Winter Vegetables

The last few months I've eaten so much chicken and turkey - they're so easy and inexpensive but, after a while, can get a little (ok, a lot) boring. So when I walked by Whole Foods the other day and realized I still had a little bit of Chanukah money leftover on a gift card, I figured I'd splurge and go for some seafood. The larger, regular-sized scallops were $25/lb, but the baby bay scallops were only $12/lb. They're smaller but sweeter - you just have to be incredibly careful not to overcook them. I also bought 9 or 10 shrimp, worth a grand total of maybe $4. So I wouldn't spend too much money, I thought I'd toss the shrimp and scallops with some roasted veggies to beef up the meal, and I topped the dish with one of my favorite pan sauces for seafood - white wine, butter, grated lemon peel and chives. All in all, an easy, inexpensive meal that's still incredibly delicious and (of course) incredibly good for you. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2/3 lb bay scallops
1/3 lb shrimp
salt and pepper
1-2 baby zucchini, chopped
10-15 brussel sprouts, halved
1 small parsnip, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp chives, chopped
1 lemon, quartered, for serving

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Toss chopped vegetables with olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake on an aluminum-covered baking sheet for 15- 20 minutes, or until tender
Clean shrimp and scallops
Spray a small pan with cooking spray and cook shrimp and scallops over medium-high heat until no longer translucent. Remove from pan.
Turn heat down to medium-low, and add wine. Stir, making sure to scrape up all the burnt bits leftover from the shrimp and scallops. Cook 3- 4 minutes, or until noticeably reduced.
Add butter, lemon rind, and chives. Cook for another minute, then pour over seafood.
Toss with roasted veggies and serve with lemon quarters.

2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment