13 July 2011

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins

My favorite food as a little kid was succotash. I'm totally serious. I've always loved vegetables, but I have lots of friends who don't. Baking with zucchini is an easy way to sneak in some veggies and (even better) to make muffins that are both moist and fluffy with hardly any added butter or oil. I created this recipe recently and have received only compliments - the muffins are light and sweet, and last for up to a week stored in an airtight container. I thought they were chocolate-y enough with a few chocolate chips sprinkled on top, but if you want the muffins to be a bit richer, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup to the batter before baking. Could easily be made into a bread, too.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (pressed, to eliminate excess water)
semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease 10 muffin cups / line with muffin liners
(as you can see, I tried both - either works!)
Combine dry ingredients in large bowl
Beat sugar, butter and oil in smaller bowl
Add eggs, then vanilla, milk and zucchini to wet ingredients
Add wet ingredients to dry, and stir until just combined
If desired, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips to batter
Divide among muffin cups
Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of batter (I did 5-6 chips/muffin)
Bake 15-20 minutes, or until center is just set

10 muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment