01 August 2011

cafe orlin



I've walked by this place at least one hundred times, and every time, I wonder about the crowds of people that I see gathered outside. The cafe doesn't look remarkable - cute, cramped outdoor space under a faded awning - but I figured that all those people had to know something I didn't. So finally, for brunch this past weekend, I went with a friend. And now I understand. The menu is simple (eggs and pancakes for brunch, salads and sandwiches for dinner, many with a Middle Eastern twist) but everything is good, fresh and fairly priced, and the atmosphere is comfy and laid back. The staff are friendly, the space inviting, and if you want to sit and linger over your coffee, you're more than welcome. I'd definitely recommend this place for weekend brunch: it was buzzing, but my friend and I only had to wait ten minutes for an outdoor table which, in NYC brunch-land, is as good as it's going to get.

41 St. Marks Place (b/w 1st and 2nd Avenues)

*recommendations:
  tunisian eggs
  portobella mushroom, shallot and herb omelette
  pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon yogurt

No comments:

Post a Comment