31 August 2011

Cinnamon Butter Muffins

When I was a kid, my mom used to make a version of these muffins for breakfast for me and my brother. I was never a huge breakfast lover, but with these I needed no convincing: who could turn down a warm, just-out-of-the-oven muffin coated in buttery cinnamon sugar? As I grew up and became slightly more health-conscious, eggs and granola bars replaced the muffins and, until a few weeks ago, I'd nearly forgotten about them. But recently, in the window display of a bakery somewhere on the upper east side, I saw one. And was immediately craving one of my mom's muffins. So I decided to attempt my own version - cutting back just enough on the butter and sugar to retain the warm, buttery flavor but reduce the chances of a post-muffin heart attack. I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that my new, updated muffins are healthy, but they're certainly no worse than a bagel, danish or doughnut, and are ten times as good. The fact that they make the entire house smell like cinnamon is just an added bonus. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup fat-free milk

3 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine sugar, flour, baking powder and nutmeg in a large bowl
Add butter, egg and milk and stir until just combined
Spoon batter into greased muffin tins
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown

For topping, dip muffins (while still warm) in melted butter,
and roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture

8 muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment