17 October 2011

Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce and Baked Tofu

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280008-spaghetti-squash-calories-nutrients/

Have you ever made spaghetti squash before? I hadn't, and now I feel like an idiot. It's so good. I don't understand why it isn't on every weight-loss / healthy-eating / good-for-you food blog out there. It's the perfect, low-cal alternative to pasta: one cup contains only 40 calories, as compared to the 220 calories in one cup of pasta. The squash is about the size of a butternut squash, oblong and bright yellow (it's the one in the bottom left in the picture above). It's incredibly easy to cook: cut it in half horizontally (I had the guy at wholefoods do it for me, because I knew I'd hurt myself), fill the bottom half with a quarter cup of water, place in a close-fitting bowl, stack the top half back on top of the bottom half, and steam in the microwave for 5 - 7 minutes. When it's done, use a fork to shred the squash into pasta-like strands. Alone, it doesn't taste like much - a bit like a cross between a regular potato and a butternut squash. But - like pasta - you can add pretty much anything to it and it will be fantastic. I was craving classic spaghetti and marinara so I topped it with tomato sauce and added tofu to make it into a full meal, but it's also delicious tossed with a bit of butter and fresh herbs or brown sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash, halved
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
freshly chopped basil
1/2 cup tomato sauce
5 oz tofu 

Directions:
Steam squash as described above
While in the microwave, toss tofu with 1 tsp olive oil, salt and pepper
Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, or until slightly browned
Once squash is steamed and shredded, toss with 1 tsp olive oil, cheese, salt and pepper
Top with tomato sauce, tofu, and chopped basil


2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment