10 October 2011

hot apple toddy

Though it's currently 85 degrees outside and sunny (it's mid-october! come on!), I've been in an autumn-y mood ever since those couple of chilly days we had a few weeks ago. Fall is my favorite season (the pretty leaves, the cozy scarves, the fact that christmas is oh-so-close) and each year, the minute that the weather turns even the slightest bit cold, I immediately find myself craving those fall drink classics: peppermint hot chocolate, pumpkin lattes, chai tea, etc etc. This year, seeing as I have a real job and am living in my own apartment in new york city (ack. adulthood.), I decided to try something a bit more grown-up. This autumn version of the classic hot toddy is as warm and cozy as it gets, and super easy to throw together. Back in the day, these were traditionally drunk in cold, wet weather, and were believed to help cure the cold and the flu. As a future doctor, though, I feel like I should tell you - treating the flu with alcoholic beverages is no longer recommended.

http://www.mydailyfind.com/tag/san-fernando-valley-cocktails

Ingredients:
4 oz whiskey
3 cups apple cider
3 tbsp sugar (I like brown sugar)
pinch of cloves, allspice, nutmeg (or whatever mulling spices you happen to have around)
drizzle of honey
cinnamon sticks and apple slices, for garnish

Directions:
Drizzle honey into the bottom of four glasses
Add one oz whiskey to each glass
Over medium heat, simmer cider, sugar and mulling spices for up to 10 minutes
(the longer you simmer, the deeper the flavor)
Add the hot cider to the glasses and garnish with cinnamon sticks and apple slices

*also great with a squeeze of fresh lemon

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment