09 July 2012

easy guacamole

My 16 year old cousin Jonah got into town a few days ago. He lives in Xiamen, China, and I haven't seen him in five or six years. I wanted to spend a little time with him without the rest of the family (read: parents, grandparents, etc), so my roommate and I invited him, along with my brother and his girlfriend, over for dinner. I always like to put out something to snack on before dinner, to make the night a little more festive. Guac is incredibly easy, everyone likes it, and it takes no actual cooking (particularly important after two weeks straight of 90+ weather). I've messed around with lots of recipes, but always come back to the basics: avocado, garlic, red onion, and lime juice. You can toss in grilled corn and black beans, loads of tomatoes, even pineapple and mango, but I think it takes away from the flavor of the avocado, which, particularly this time of year, is so not something you want to hide. But go ahead and play with it: this recipe is fabulous on its own, but also a great base for other ideas.


Ingredients:
3 ripe avocados
3 tbsp diced red onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp lime juice
1-2 tbsp diced tomato

Directions:
Scoop out avocado and mash with a fork
Add in onion, garlic and lime juice, and combine
Top with diced tomato

*thanks to the lime juice, this will keep for a few days in the fridge without turning brown

No comments:

Post a Comment