28 July 2011

Smoked Salmon, Chive & Goat Cheese Frittata

I decided I wanted to save a little money on dinner last night, so I started looking up recipes for frittatas, which are similar to omelettes but open rather than folded over and cooked a bit more slowly for a gooey-er filling and airier result. Unfortunately, I happened to stumble upon packages of delicious-looking smoked salmon as I wandered the grocery store after work, and decided I couldn't live without it. Smoked salmon isn't cheap, but here's my justification: it's healthy, yummy, and the 4 oz package I bought ($8) contained more than enough for two of these frittatas. Many of the frittata recipes I found contained significant amounts of sour cream, creme fraiche, butter and oil. I used none of these, and my frittata was delicious: the decadent combination of eggs, goat cheese and shredded potato was brightened by the fresh chives and the flavor enhanced by the smoky, salty salmon flaked on top. For a vegetarian version, eliminate the salmon and add an extra egg and/or extra cheese. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups shredded potato (I used frozen)
Salt and pepper
5 egg whites
1 egg
1/8 cup crumbled goat cheese
2 oz smoked salmon, pulled apart into bite-size peices
1 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh, chopped chives

Directions:
Grease pan with cooking spray
Season potatoes with salt and pepper
Cook potatoes over medium heat until soft and becoming browned
Whisk together egg whites, egg and 1 tbsp chives, and add to pan with potatoes
Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the edges are set (the center will still be a little runny)
Sprinkle goat cheese, smoked salmon and remaining chives on top
Place pan beneath the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until top is set and cheese is slightly melted
Serve hot


Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment