26 August 2011

Basil Pesto

Yesterday, I decided to make pesto from the fresh basil that my mom had recently trimmed from her herb garden in our yard. This recipe is simple but incredibly delicious - all you need is fresh basil, cheese, pine nuts, olive oil and a little garlic. The small number ingredients really lets that fresh, summery basil flavor shine. I drizzled this pesto on grilled zucchini, but I frequently toss it with sauteed shrimp or a little pasta for a fresh and light dinner.

A useful tip: I often make a huge batch and store it in small containers or dixie cups in the freezer. Next time I need it - for a family dinner or just to liven up a sandwich for lunch - I thaw a container in the microwave and voila - my favorite pesto!


Ingredients:
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced (I added 5 - but I really love garlic)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
Add basil, nuts and garlic to a food processor and process until finely chopped
Add oil and cheese, process until incorporated
Add salt and pepper, to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment