24 August 2011

S'mores Cookies

A close friend of mine had a big audition this morning (he's a classical bassoonist) and, since I'm meeting him for dinner downtown tonight, I thought I'd bake him a little something as a 'congratulations'. I've been meaning to attempt my own version of s'mores cookies for a while (if you haven't noticed, there are at least three hundred different recipes for these cookies popping up all over the internet), and figured this was the perfect opportunity. I scanned through 20 or 30 different recipes before settling on my own - a slightly less-fattening version that I thought would still retain the decadent, campfire-reminiscent flavor combo of melty milk chocolate, roasted marshmallows and graham crackers. I have to say, I was seriously impressed with my cookies. The chopped hershey's chocolate and gooey mini-marshmallows were delicious, but the batter was (really and truly) out of this world. Forget s'mores, this is my new go-to cookie batter. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 hershey's bars, chopped
1/2 cup (or so) mini marshmallows

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine flour, graham cracker, baking soda and salt, and set aside
Beat butter and both sugars until fluffy (about two-three minutes)
Beat in vanilla and egg
Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined
Stir in half of hershey's chopped chocolate
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets
Bake 8-9 minutes
Remove from oven and quickly press marshmallows and remaining chocolate into dough
Return to oven for 2-3 minutes, or until edges are just beginning to brown
(*if you want the marshmallows to brown, broil instead of bake for 1-2 minutes)
Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheets

12-15 cookies



No comments:

Post a Comment